On the Road World Tour 2019 - USA & Mexico

Check here for the latest on Hapkido News, Events, Photo's and Reports
Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

On the Road World Tour 2019 - USA & Mexico

Postby Grandmaster G » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 am

2018 USA and Mexico road trip.

The day began like any other with the Road Warrior and a Hapkido seminar (which went well) before heading over to the train station to catch my train from Fes into Casablanca (4 hours). A 30-minute wait in Casablanca before the train to the airport (1hr) and then I have 3 hours at the airport before my 1:40am flight Casablanca to Frankfurt (3 hours 20 minutes). I arrive at 6am and get 7 hours and 20 minutes to wait at the airport, before grabbing the 1:20pm flight across the Atlantic into Newark (8 hours 25 minutes) arriving at 3:45pm and a short 2 hour 40 minutes wait for my Newark to Richmond flight (1 hour 30 minutes). Then it is a leisurely 1-hour drive to my hotel arriving around 9:30pm and a night’s sleep before starting a week of training. For those adding up the time, if I start from an easy 8am in Fes, it will be well over 40 hours door to door, talk about Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Flights #17, #18 & #19 Casablanca – Frankfurt – Newark – Richmond (Lufthansa Airbus A319 & Boeing 747-8i + United Embraer RJ135)

Some travel days should only be remembered as Epic, but never enjoyed whilst doing them. Today will go in the books as one of those. Still I made the Atlantic crossing smoothly and am looking forward to the North American Road Trip. It was good to meet up with KSN Brian and Abby at the airport and to give them an update on the World Tour on the drive back to Yorktown. However, it was time for this Road Warrior to do a quick update and then crash before the full week of training.

Images no Road Warrior wants to see

The Care package that was waiting for me

The Adults class ready for action

A view of the freshly renovated back room

So, the plans for this visit to Yorktown were to spend time each day working with the Instructors, Advanced and normal students. These were broken into 3 sessions 9:30-11:30, 12:30-3:00 and 3:30-7:30. Also planned for the week some time to work with students on specific areas, a Belt Test and an open seminar focusing on weapons. To help me get through the week one of the local students had prepared a care package for me, some snacks, a rubber duck to keep me company, a drink bottle and an offer to assist with laundry, thank you for the kind thoughts and help, it was mush appreciated. A busy week that meant leaving the Hotel by 9am and returning sometime around 11pm, but overall a good chance to spend some quality mat time with the local IHA family. The local team under KSN Brian kept me caffeinated and all went very well. CGN Stephanie from North Carolina also drove down to join the fun and be part of the first ‘Hell Week’ in VA.

The Dojang Equipment Display

Local Burger Haunt

Team Black Belt

Weapons R us

Saturday Seminar Group

The week wrapped up with the seminar where I worked on the concepts of weaponry, with a focus on blade and flex types. The students also got the chance to bring in some normal items from home to see if they could stump me, I was able to creatively work out ways to use them all as weapons, however there was a moment where I had to think about how to use the Muffin. During the week I also had the chance to work with KSN Brian on plans for NATS 2 (North American Training Seminar) which would be in Yorktown next year. I wrapped up my visit to Virginia with a quick stop at the outlets to replace some clothing, always a good way to save some dollars in comparison to home. Then KSN Brian and I took the 5-hour drive heading towards North Carolina and CGN Stephanie’s Dojang.

Challenge #1 – Photo Error..

Challenge #2 – KSN Brian - 700

Rolling in Style

Road Trip: Yorktown, VA – Denver, NC – Gastonia, NC – Clemmons, NC

The drive went smoothly and we arrived into Denver, North Carolina just in time for dinner with Ma’am Stephanie (Tang Soo Do 4th Degree & IHA 1st Degree Instructor) and Ben her husband (Tang Soo Do 3rd Degree & now IHA Blue Belt). Over the next few days the schedule had a range of classes from Morning IHA lessons, evening kids, IHA Seminar Class, a class specifically for Tang Soo Do students, and an open seminar. Lots of mat time with a couple of outside seminars, one at Gastonia Martial Arts and one at Clemmons Family Martial Arts. KSN Brian stayed over for the Monday’s action and then headed out on Tuesday to return home for classes at his Dojang.

Now that’s a welcome

KSN Stephanie’s Dojang – Floor #1

KSN Stephanie’s Dojang – Floor #2

The BBQ Pork Special

Kids Seminar – Bag Fu

Adults IHA Seminar Class #1 – How to Kick

Where else do you put a Butchers but in a Petrol Station

Kids Seminar – Pressure Points

Adults IHA Seminar Class #2 – How to Strike

Adults IHA Seminar Class #3 – White/Orange Self Defence + Angry White Belt

Hapkido Seminar – Tang Soo Do group

Wings R Us

Challenge #1 – Staff Choke

Challenge #2 – CGN Stephanie - 800

Saturday morning and the travelling seminar crew head over to SBN Shawn’s Dojang for the next seminar. The focus is on Hand Attacks, Arm Bar Under and then onto Hook Punch Defence for some slam and Jam. This will be last seminar at this Dojang as SBN is moving his Dojang literally the next week, so I look forward to seeing the new location next time. That night we all headed into Charlotte for a Meatfest at Chima a Brazilian Steakhouse where food coma is the modus operandi, mission accomplished!

Gastonia Seminar Group

They take their flags seriously around here

I guess you would call that a modified car

Challenge #1 – Gun Defence

Challenge #2 – SBN Shawn - 900

Sunday and it was time to put the local students through their paces with some of the local students testing for their next ranks. One of the freshly nicknamed students “Dump Truck” even came in for the testing after having gotten married the day before. Now that’s commitment, at least I hope the new wife was has happy with the choice, at least he went home with a new Orange Belt. The afternoon included some ‘interesting’ Mexican type food, it was Cinco de Mayo and then a better experience with some Heated Recliners and a viewing of the new Avengers movie. I also had to judge the week long Australian Art competition which was filling up the mirrors in the Dojang, some excellent pieces of art. Sadly they seemed to have gone missing...

Grading Group – Dump Truck the Orange Belt on the right

Cinco de Mayo

Final Seminar Class - Before

Final Seminar Class - After

Tim Tam Slam – Teaching the Yanks how it’s done

Australian Art Competition, I stole the good ones, umm borrowed.

CGN Stephanie is still on Chauffeur duties for the drive over to my last seminar in North Carolina this trip. We head over to Clemmons family martial arts for the evening where I run the group through the Kwan Nyom conceptual motion techniques. The seminar goes well and we head back for a late night wrap up before the inevitable early morning and getting back on the road.

Nitro Cold Brew Coffee – Yes, it is a thing

Clemmons Seminar Group

Up the next morning for the quick drive to Charlotte and my next couple of flights, this time with Delta as I was unable to get flights that made any financial sense with United. As mentioned, before it comes down to where different Airlines had Hubs, and that makes for way different pricing at times as well as weird connections. Like today I am flying South to Atlanta to connect to my flight North which is cheaper that anything direct or remotely more straightforward.

Flights #20 & #21 Charlotte – Atlanta – Philadelphia (Boeing 717-200 & Douglas MD-90)

Smooth flights with Delta into Philadelphia where I pick up my Rental, now to see what I get as I was offered a free double upgrade on my booking. As we walk into the car park to find a car, the car rental guy asks what I drive at home, a Mustang I reply, well you get that today… Argh, my double upgrade gets a Toyota Camry, um, how is that an Upgrade at all. Still I am on the road for the quick dash over to Master Wagner’s Tang Soo Do Dojang for the seminar. I stop on the way to check in to my hotel, that was where the wheels came off so to speak. One of the wheels falls off my new luggage, and then a second one. Jeez, I manged to get the bag to the room as the 2 remaining ones where diagonal and still let me roll it some. Add a repair stop to my list somewhere.

Respect for the Fallen

Double Upgrade Mobile

The Bag might have Wheel problems but the TSA still leave a love letter

At least the seminar is on track and the students get a chance to run through Kwan Nyom conceptual motion and how that builds. I also made sure that all learned the dreaded Aussie Wallaby block as part of the night. It is always fun visiting with Master Wagner’s students, sadly he was away on the road so his instructor team made sure to look after me.

Seminar Group @ Bensalem, PA

The next morning, I took the Camry onto the road for the 3-hour drive North towards Williamsport and Master O’Connell’s Dojang. The drive was smooth even if a few crazy driving Soccer Moms showed some elite driving skills with their overtaking manoeuvres. It was straight onto the mats for a Meet and Greet with the local students. There was a good group with some excellent questions and the evening went well with parents getting involved as well. The next day Master O’Connell was running a Black Belt grading for some of his students so I sat in on the testing to add some gravitas.

Boots outside the room please

Meet and Greet #1

Meet and Greet #2

Sunday and mother’s day rolled around and I was on the mats for a private seminar class for Master O’Connell’s leadership team which was followed by an open Lock Flows and Dan Bong seminar. It was a good weekend and I am looking forward to working with Sir on continuing his path into the IHA.

Leadership Class

Seminar Group

Challenge #1 – Dan Bong Cord Projection

Challenge #2 – Master O’Connell - 1000

It was a brief but good visit with Master O’Connell and his students, but time to saddle up the Camry for the drive to Philadelphia and my next flight. The GPS decided to take me sight seeing and I took a side trip past New York city, at least I had plenty of time to get to the airport. The was definitely no rush as the flight was then delayed and I waited in the lounge watching my transfer window shrink, even with small time between flights you can run it, but your bags don’t move the same way from plane to plane. The flight got into Chicago late, boarding had begun for my next flight in a different terminal so I hoofed it quickly. Basically, I stepped off one plane and ran onto the next one, I checked the United App and apparently my bags made it, now that was not to be expected with under 15 minutes turn around.

Flights #22 & #23 Philadelphia – Chicago – Minneapolis (United Boeing 737-800 & 737-900)

SBN Corey is at the airport with coffee in hand and we hold a moment until KJN Dave catches up with us. Time to see if the bags did make it and as a good surprise they do. I shepherd the limping bag to Corey’s truck and we hit the road for Hutchinson. The next day is open so we drive into Minneapolis to get my bag repaired but find out it is a 10-day thing as the replacement wheels have to be shipped in from Europe. At least it meant we could sneak in a lunchtime visit to Fogo. SBN Corey takes over the repair mission and some time later the wheels are cleaned, reattached with both Loctite and Graphite with the bags rolling as new. That night I am on the mats with the younger Hapkido crowd, seminar one on Bag Fu and seminar two on Nunchaku.

Fogo Salad Bar

Australia continues to infect the USA

Bag Fu + Nunchaku Seminar Group

We are running a different schedule this visit for the first couple of days to allow for the school age Black Belt candidates to finish school and then join the training, so the morning is free and we kick off at 3pm. On the schedule today is the Sun Bae and my chance to spend some time with potential new Black Belts as well as the seniors. After the Sun Bae we move onto a Technical Review for CGN Rick who is working towards his 2nd Degree.

Team Sun Bae

Keeping the heat on the Mats

Hell Week Seminar Group

The next 2 days we continue the Hell Week and set a new record with 16 Black Belts in the Dojang training. The energy is high and it is good to see the students from the different Dojangs working together like family. This time we have participants from Hutchinson MN, Minneapolis MN, Yorktown VA, San Jose CA and Denver NC. Of course, all this training leads into the next Black Belt Spirit Test with Team Hawk. 3 of SBN Corey’s student along with 1 of KSN Brian’s will be hoping to join the IHA Black Belt family. We have a good crowd of 60+ cheering on the 4 Hawks and I am pleased to announce that all four successfully earned their 1st Degree Black Belts. Congratulations new CGN’s Bradford “Man of Mystery”, Tyler “A+”, Justin “Bluie” and Amber “Hair Whip”.

Congratulations new Black Belts

The next day we were back on the mats for the final day of the Hell Week and a chance for CGN Rick to complete his Technical Review and earn his 2nd Degree. Congratulations to our new KSN, good to see the step up for this belt sir. After classes wrapped KJN Dave, SBN Corey, CGN Kris and I headed in Minneapolis for a good bye dinner, this time at Rodizio Grill a different Brazilian steakhouse but similar to Fogo. KJN and I had hotels at the airport so we could catch our early flights the next day. Back into the air this time winging my way south to our Mexican Family with a couple of flights.

Congratulations KSN Rick

Challenge #1 – Monkey Ball Wrap

Challenge #2 – SBN Corey - 1100

It was lucky that I had a 4-hour break in Houston between flights as it took that long to get the trip reported updated. At least the United lounge has upgraded its Wi-Fi, very fast this visit even with lots of people signed in. The time goes fast typing up the report and I grab flight #2 across the border.

Flights #24 & #25 Minneapolis – Houston – Guadalajara (United Embraer 175)

The flight was smooth and I clear the Mexican Customs Lottery, if you have been here you know what I mean, you hit a button it flashes red or green and you are free to go or be checked depending. Team Mexico is in force at the airport and it is good to see the seniors here to say hello, always a good first step to a visit.

Welcome Australia

Arrivals Team

First stop in Mexico = Tacos

The plans for this visit are for a busy one, on the schedule: Split Hell Week (Morning + Evening Sessions), 3 Dojang Seminars, Spirit Test, Sun Bae, Senior Technical Review, Police Seminar and Kodanja Training (4th Degree+). Lots of mat time to work with the local students as well as a chance to see the 8 candidates for 1st Degree and the seniors looking to earn their promotions for 2nd to 4th Degree. From Tuesday to Friday we would be on the mats at 9am for Hell Week #1 then a break in the afternoon and back on the mats at 7pm for Hell Week #2. Luckily the weather stayed polite for the entire week and the mat time whilst hot from the bodies was quite liveable. During the week I also got to present the Black Belt certificates for the 2018 testing group and had the chance to recognise KSN Ines for her IHA Instructors Certification.

Tanjun to kick it all off

Time to heat up the Mats

A moments meditation

Cool Ceviche

Amazing wood smoked/grilled Prawns

Striking is Us

One of the many Hell Week Groups

Late Night Hot Dog Mexican Style

Hell Week Survivors #1

Hell Week Survivors #2

Certificate presentations

Saturday morning rolled around and where else would we be but on the Mats. This time it was the seniors time with the Sun Bae training and a focus on Multiple Grabs, lots of sweat being thrown around with the bodies on the mats. Consider the training a warm up for the afternoon’s Senior Technical Review where we had 4 candidates on the mats, KSN Ernesto testing for 3rd Degree and BSBN’s Luis, Bruno and Juan Luis aiming for SBN 4th Degree. The test went well and the candidates would learn the results at the Spirit Test the next day.

Sun Bae Multiple Grabs

Team Sun Bae (Red Belt +)

Senior Technical Review

Sunday morning for a Spirit Test, of course! The Black Belts welcomed 8 Candidates from the team “Dragon Fist” to the IHA Spirit Test. The Dojang was loud with a full house crowd, everyone of the 100+ chairs were taken and it was crowded standing room only. The test was yet another step up and it is safe to say the IHA Spirit Test lives in Guadalajara. All 8 candidates were successful and we welcomed them to the Kwan Nyom Black Belt family. I was also pleased to announce the promotions of the seniors from the day before, congratulations new BSBN Ernesto, new SBN’s Luis, Bruno and Juan Luis welcome to the IHA Kodanja. Recognition also for KSN Saul as he completed his IHA Senior Instructor requirements.

The calm before the Storm

Congratulations are in order

Of course, we then headed off to lunch to celebrate the Black Belt promotions, it was an Italian restaurant, hmm a theme anyone? After the lunch it was back on the mats in the afternoon for a seminar with the local Police. A focus on opponent takedowns and control as well as some stick work for the baton. A good group that worked hard, and enjoyed the Police style Multiple Grabs I had them doing. That wrapped up the weekend and the new week would see me on the mats each morning for a couple of hours with the Kodanja team (4th Degree +) with a free night on the first night, I grabbed a nice dinner with KJN Hugo.

Scrumptious Scallops

Another Kodanja class in the morning followed this afternoon by a soft palm breaking seminar for the kids. Most managed to eventually break, and for some fun we invited the parents watching to try, one of the mothers impressed us all with her break. Good to see everyone getting involved with seminar. After class KJN Hugo had booked a good Mexican dinner for us at an aptly named restaurant La’Tequila. The range of Tequila was impressive and the menu was fine dining Mexican, you basically built your own tasting menu with 8 choices from the Menu, this one goes on my must return list.

Kids Seminar

Tequila anyone?

The morning started with more Kodanja time then in the evening it was time to visit CGN Aldo’s dojang for the first time. This Dojang is a Gym that also teaches MMA, BJJ, TKD and Hapkido. My mission was to help all the groups learn to kick harder. A good group that worked well and some eyes opened with the power that Hapkido has to offer, lots of sweat from this group hitting the pats making the warm Mexican night even hotter.

Cobra Team – Striking Seminar

After Seminar Tacos

The final day was some more mat time in the morning with the Seniors followed by a visit to the new MHA Dojang, sadly they had to leave the old one which had some major structural damage after heavy rains. Luckily, the new one is literally up the street and is larger, so a chance to grow. Seminar topics included Cactus (Painful Target) and Poh Bok Sool (Belt). I also had the chance to present SBN Carlos with his Senior Instructor recognition during the evening to wrap up things on an even more positive note.

Challenge #1 – Tonfa Lock

New MHA Dojang #1

New MHA Dojang #2

Congratulations SBN Carlos – Senior Instructor

MHA Seminar Group

Challenge #1 – Pink Belt Choke

Challenge #2 – KJN Ernesto - 1100

Starbucks is almost 50% more expensive at the Airport!

An excellent visit with Team Mexico and great steps forward with the Black Belt promotions and Instructor Recognition. I am looking forward to having them join us at both the ITS – Spain and NATS – Virginia. A big thank you to KJN Hugo for leading the schedule and putting things together for this trip. Now back into the friendly skies and across the border into America.

Flight #26 Guadalajara – Houston (United Embraer 175)

The flight into Houston was a short 2 hours and immigration was a breeze with the new automated terminals, place your passport, answer some on screen questions, and get your finger prints scanned. Done and through, I just wish the rest of the US would adopt the same systems for those travellers with an ESTA. I picked up my rental which was supposedly a premium level car, it turned out to be a Hyundai Sonata. As much as it was a decent car, I am not sure it ticked the box for Premium. Anyway, I am in Houston so I checked into my hotel and enjoyed a good Steak at one of my regular haunts Mortons. The next morning Master Sharpe picked me up and it was off to his nearby Dojang for the seminar, on the mats for Circles+ and Movement+, both lower level concepts that built into advanced ideas. Master Sharpe is planning to launch his new Hapkido program after the seminar so the topics needed to help kick start the class.

Houston Seminar Group

After the seminar I had a couple of days free, so some time to work on Signature videos as well as hit the outlets for my annual shop. Clothes are so much cheaper here so each year I stock up on what I need. Of course, it was more to enjoy the awesome Sonata cruising around, it is a well-built car and drives well for what it is. The time comes to head to the airport for my next flight, this time across country to Seattle and the last of my World Tour Seminars.

Flight #27 Houston - Seattle (United Boeing 737-800)

SBN Mark is at the airport to pick me up and we cruise back to Issaquah for the hotel check in and then out for a nice dinner. It is Salmon season in this area so I get to try some of the infamous Copper River Salmon for dinner. The next day I also get to sample a well-known hole in the wall called Dixies BBQ for the Brisket. Both were good in different ways. As the day was open, I spend some time catching up on some Computer work at the Issaquah Conference Centre as SBN Mark calls it (Starbucks). We then cruise out to take a look at the nearby falls and old school train town.

Copper River Salmon – A local delicacy

Dixies BBQ

Dixies BBQ - Brisket

Snoqualmie Falls

So, over the 3 days of training I had a seminar class at the Mercer Island School, a Weapon Defence Seminar and Coloured Belt Seminar at the Issaquah School and then a small Black Belt class on the Sunday for some of the local seniors. Of course, apart from the training it was a great chance to catch up with the local IHA team as well as enjoy some excellent meals. Which included a visit to the locally famous Herb Farm for an excellent Salmon base dinner.

Herb Farm #1 – Mr Boots… to da head…

Herb Farm #2 – Glorious local Salmon

Herb Farm #3 – Strongest Coffee in the World, apparently

Herb Farm #4 – Wine anyone?

After the Sunday Black Belt class there was some free time so SBN Mark and I headed into Tacoma to visit the LeMay Automobile museum, some Mustangs were there of course.

Black Belt Class

Challenge #1 – Cane Choke

Challenge #2 – SBN Mark - 1200

LeMay #1 – Entrance

LeMay #2 – Shelby GT 500 Mustang

LeMay #3 – Back 2 the Future

LeMay #4 – Yabba Dabba Doo

LeMay #5 – Mustang history, the Bullitt

LeMay #6 – Drivers fighting, the bottom guy working a Lock

It is always fun when plans change, in this case some possible seminars for Los Angeles didn’t eventuate. So, I did some calculations and changed my travel plans. It worked out cheaper to get return flights from LA to Vegas plus a hotel (in this case the MGM) than the 3-night stay and car rental was going to cost me in LA. I don’t gamble but I will indulge in some nice restaurants to wrap up this year’s World Tour, so it turned out to be a good little side trip to celebrate another successful Seminar Tour. Vegas can be very cheap for hotels if you stay during the week, so booking in for Monday-Thursday worked out well. I wrapped up my last seminar stop in Seattle and was back into the air with a couple of flights to Vegas via Los Angeles.

Martial Arts and Australia side by side in the Starbucks, hmmm

Flights #28 & #29 Seattle – Los Angeles – Las Vegas (United Boeing 737-800 & 737-900)

Mount Rainier, always an impressive sight flying out of Seattle

Vegas #1 - L’Atelier

Vegas #2 - L’Atelier Yum

Vegas #3 – Hell’s Kitchen

Vegas #4 – Hell’s Kitchen Yum

Vegas #5 - Morimoto

Vegas #6 – Morimoto Yum

Vegas #7 – Sushisamba

Vegas #7 – Sushisamba Yum

Vegas #8 – A Loius Vuitton punching bag for Martial Artists that have everything

Vegas #9 – Twist by Pierre Gagnaire

Vegas #10 – Twist by Pierre Gagnaire Yum

Vegas #11 – At Night

Vegas #11 – At Night

Vegas was a chance to relax and enjoy some great meals before the long-haul home. The 2019 World Seminar Tour officially comes to a close and I want to thank all those involved both at home in Australia and around the world for making this happen. I also want to congratulate every IHA member who worked hard, learnt something new, took steps forward whether in rank or technique for being a big part of what makes this trip so worthwhile. I look forward to catching up with many of you in Spain for the ITS!

Flight #30 & #31 Las Vegas - Los Angeles - Sydney (United Boeing 737-900 & Dreamliner 787-9)

Jehad Batta

Re: On the Road World Tour 2019 - USA & Mexico

Postby Jehad Batta » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Wow GM G, leaving Morocco and heading to the Americas takes 40 hours. I wonder how you mange to sleep/rest? Considering the years of travel experience Im certain you've attained many techniques along the way.

Looking forward to the Americas leg of the journey.

Safe travels Sir.

Kelvin Zeini

Postby Kelvin Zeini » Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

WOW! the US tour looking fabulous GM. The photos shows so much fun happening and quite good number of attendee. Definitely good sign of a healthy Kwan Noym Hapkido spirit is growing and flourishing on the other side of the world.

Thanks for sharing sir.

Ron van Beukering
Chief Instructor

Postby Ron van Beukering » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Awesome Sir! What an excellent Report. I takes me along with you on the road. You met a lot of enthousiaster Kwan Nyom Hapkido Students.
Thanks for sharring this Report, Sir!
"the bird will show you the way"

Peko Pekovic

Postby Peko Pekovic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Great Report, Sir! It's good to see how is Hapkido done in other parts of the world. Some dojangs look quite impressive.

And some amazing food, of course :)

Thank you for sharing.

Grandmaster G
Hae Jang Nim

Postby Grandmaster G » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:36 pm

USA/Mexico report now Complete!

Regards

GM G

Nathan McDonald
Chief Instructor

Postby Nathan McDonald » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 am

Bring on ITS Spain....Another successful trip GMG!!!

Return to “News & Events”